Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YZ 250 Woods mods; Gearing / Bars

Thanks

Question YZ 250 Woods mods; Gearing / Bars

Hi all,
    I've been lurking here a while. Tons of great info here!

I have 99 YZ250 that I am slowly converting over from a MX bike to Woods bike. I am 6' 195lbs. I grew up riding trails, then MX, took a 15 year hiatus riding sport bikes and have come full circle back to woods riding

So far I have Maier XC Bark busters (hides my $$ ASV levers!), tuned the suspension for trail riding vs. MX. (still stock spring rates, changed to 5 wt fork oil and the recommended woods oil height), gripper seat, and I have a FMF SST pipe & Q silencer. Running a S12 front and Pirelli MX eXTra rear.

Honestly the thing already seems pretty dang good in the woods.
    I've slowly been rebuilding all wear parts, the shock bushings are next on the list.

I'm ordering a 13 oz Stealthy FWW, from all the recomendations I've seen on here. Although I don't have a huge problem stalling in the tight stuff, but I'm usually in first for a lot of that.

So my question is; What gearing is everyone running or is it just more personal preference?
    It seems to me that 2nd is just a tad too high for the tight stuff, where I end up lugging around and possible loading up. So my thought was to go up in gear ratio. Stock is 14-50:3.57. I have an extra 48th rear so was thinking about 13-48:3.69, which will probaby require a 112 link chain vs the stock 520-114.
    Or, is the stock gearing fine and I just need to pick up speed in the tight stuff? I think the WR's run a 13/49? But the trans ratios are different.

I also was wondering about replacing my bars. I have some standard YZ bend909 alum 7/8" bars now. I'd like a more sweep, rise and something a little narrower for the tight stuff. Any recommendations? I was eyeing the Pro Taper Hi Woods, or CR High bends. Are fat bars really any better for woods riding? I guess the 7/8 to 1 1/8 adapters just look like a waste to me.

Any other recommendations for mods or setup?
    Thanks!!

09 YZ250, 03 WR450F, 05 VTX1800F
    02 YZ250F (Boy's)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Thanks
    get a vfroce 3 setup.. that could help out with tailoring the powerband to where you want it... I like mine down low.. never ran an sst. I like the gnarly(had on a kdx) pc platnium II was great on my 03 kx 250 with vforce 3 and pc r304 shorty silencer. wish I hadnt sold that bike... I rode the best I ever have on that bike... dang curiousity gets people all the time... the ktm 300xc hasnt been too bad. Looking forward to trying out this 01 yz 125 im putn together... sorry for straying off topic!

Thanks
    On my '99 I ran the SST with the short silncer. If you have / want to run the "Q" then I'd say go with a Gnarly pipe. The Gnarly and a short silencer will give you the most bottom and will pull tall gears ( 14 / 48 ) real nice.

With the 13oz FWW, I'd probable run stock gears and the GNARLY / SHORTY combo with a V-FORCE reed and a spacer. That should work good in the tight stuff.
    MOTORHEAD

You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding.

Thanks
    I had a whole big response typed out to this post the other day and lost it and got so mad I thought I was going to explode, so I'll try again

There are several great threads on this site about YZ250 setup. Search for YZ250 and you should see them, they will be several pages long.

I am a recent singletrack hound convert and just can't get enough of it. My bike works really good in the tight stuff for me. Here is my complete 2000 YZ250 setup.....

FMF Fatty pipe
    FMF TC-II (also have Shorty)
    Boyseen reeds
    11oz Steahly FWW
    14/51 sprockets
    Amsoil Interceptor @32:1

Bruce's Suspension "Terrain Tamer" setup
    Dunlop 773 front/ 952 rear
    Bridgestone Ultra HD tubes
    '06 YZ front brake line
    EBC MXS pads
    Lightspeed full wrap fork guards
    Dirt-Bike-Gear rear fender bag
    Pro-Taper Countour Henry/Reed bend at full width (filled with GE Silicone-II to dampen vibes)
    Pro-Taper 7/8 bar adapters (which raise about an inch)
    Cycra Pro-Bends (which reminds me I need to order some bar ends from A-Tek)
    Trail-Tech kickstand
    BPM Skid Plate

Didn't mean to ramble on, but when I used to love running across posts where guys listed lots of detail on their setup.

The Contour bars with the Pro-bends installed seemed to transmit much more vibes to my hands than a regular set of Renthal standard bars did, but filling them with GE Silicone-II helped to deaden a lot of those vibes. The stuff stays flexible so it acts like a gel inside the bars. May not work for everyone, but is worked for me. The Henry/Reed bars are tall and combined with the bar adapters are even taller, which I find is really nice. I read where guys say to stand on the bike (with it on a stand) close you eyes and hold your arms with fingers extended, straight out, then lower them and the tips of your fingers should hit the grips. The bars I had before were way too low when trying this. Since putting the bar combo I have now, it is much more comfy when standing and sitting. I prefer bars at full width, just never have liked them cut down, I think it servers to wear your arms out faster since narrow bars have less leverege and turn quicker - not everyone shares this view, but it is my feelings.

There are times in the really tight stuff when I'd like to have another couple teeth on the rear sprocket. What'd REALLY be nice is to have the WR wide-ratio gearbox installed When I finally buy another / newer YZ250 that will be on the short list of mods.

- '00 YZ250
    - '09 YZ250
    - '06 JR50 (x2)

Thanks
    Glad to see you got it posted this time number9 Yeah, absolutely love those posts with detailed setups!
    I'll try that trick with the bars!

Yeah you guys nailed a few other mods on my short list; skid plate, rad protectors, vforce 3. I put the vforce down the list until after the fww was in. It's just hard to give up that snap into the powerband!
    How was all around performance? Did it just pull from lower down?

It had the SST pipe on it when I bought it. Seems like a decent do everything well pip. I added the Q silencer last year for the SA and sound when we started riding ORVs and Highland Park which tests for sound levels. Actually I couldn't tell a bit of difference between the stocker and the Q in sound or performance...I guess that's good and bad.

Well I need a new chain soon anyway so I'll play around between the sprockets I have 13/14 48/50 and see what works.

Thanks for all the info!

02 YZ250F (Boy's)

Thanks
    Before I got my FWW I was affraid of it making the bike sluggish or slow-revving - that turned out to not be the case at all. The bike still revs up quick, will snap onto the pipe when I want it to and haul the mail in the straights, it's just that now with the FWW, it pulls / chugs from the basement like a tractor, is harder to stall and puts more usable power down without lighting the rear tire up - unless I want it to.

If you do the bar filler, be sure and use the GE Silicone II. I got it from Lowes and it took about 1/2 a fullsize tube (like for a cualk gun). The stuff is clear and stays "flexible" so it acts more like a gel to dampen the vibes than regular old caulk that would harden as it setup. Plus, you can use the excess to seal cracks, joints, other stuff around the house or garage.

- '00 YZ250
    - '09 YZ250
    - '06 JR50 (x2)

Thanks
    A great mod if you want more low and more mid is to cut .020" off the head and .010" off the squish. It is also cheaper than v-force. Stock gearing is probably the best, unless you are kind of slow.

Thanks
    Add a hefty skidplate to the shopping list, you'll thank yourself.

Let 'er rip!!!

Thanks
    Actually I just ordered a skid plate a few days ago
    I didn't get to ride last weekend but I'm going Saturday.

So my detailed list of mods for my 99YZ250 are:

FMF SST Gold pipe
    FMF Q silencer
    Stealthy 13 oz. FWW
    ProTaper P3 tripple in +2 position
    ProTaper Woods Hi fatbar
    ProTaper dual compound grips half waffle
    Tusk aluminum throttle sleeve
    replaced the Maier XC with some Moose alum BB I had around
    ASV levers
    Forks filled to racetech specs with synthetic 5wt
    100mm sag, clickers reset for trail riding; currently Fork C-13 R-8, Shock C-11 R-9
    Tusk fork bleeders
    Michelin S12 front, Pirelli Scorpion MX eXTra rear
    EBC pads, flushed and filled with synthetic DOT5, cut 1/3 out of the rear pads
    13/50 gearing - taking the 48th along
    N-Style graphics, gripper seat

On order;
    DG skid plate
    Gold X ring 520-114 chain

Looking at new BB - Cycra Pro tripple mounted, Fastway FIT, Enduro Engineering, & Ride Engineering. With the new bars everything just seems crowded so I'd like to move to a tripple mounted system. Anyone have any pros/cons of these?
    You don't realize how much work you've done until you start listing it
    Last edited by NoWakeSS; 02-08-2008 at 12:02 AM.

02 YZ250F (Boy's)

Thanks
    I've got the Enduro Engineering on my RM & KXF...love 'em. Most of the heavy duty handgurads mount up out in front of all controls very clean. Check www.cyclebuy.com

Have you thought about a steering damper? I've had the GPR on my last 3 bikes & will continue to use dampers. I hear alot of people say you don't need 'em in the woods... I do!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crfro View Post
    Have you thought about a steering damper?
    Been thinking about it...one of the reasons I was looking at the Fastway FIT because they have a version that includes a dampner mount.

It's just hard to justify the price tag! I also started seeing some info on the new Ohlins so I figured I'd see how everyone likes it before I drop the $$.

Thanks for the info on the EE guards, seems like everyone is happy with them.

02 YZ250F (Boy's)

Thanks
    A trick damper out right now is the Motosportz. I'm sure if you Google it, you can find info. Ebay is also an option for you....save some $$$.

Later.

Thanks
    my 97 yz250 setup for east coast enduro/hs has:

Renthal 7/8" cr high bend bards
    Renthal DC 1/2 waffle grips
    MSR adjustable clutch lever
    MSR Barkbusters and handguards
    MSR chain guide and rub plates
    Scotts damper
    12oz FWW
    FMF Fatty Pipe
    MSR Pipe Guard
    MSR Skid Plate
    Renthal chain (o-ring) and sprockets 13/48
    Clarke 3gal gas tank
    Gutz Med density High Foam Seat and Gripper Seat Cover
    Factory Fx graphics
    Acerbis plastic and headlight
    Suspension revalved and resprung
    Aftermarket tripleclamps
    JD Jetting kit
    Twin Air filters
    Elf oils
    Kenda tires (Southwick for sand/mud Carlsbad for rocks)
    ICO Enduro computer and MSR Rollchart holder

Thanks
    my 02, i spent alot of time and money setting it up for woods, playing with pipes, reeds, flywheel, setting suspension for my weight, etc.... the best thing I did beside the suspension was a rekluse pro.... I could have saved alot of money if I would have did this first..LOL!!
    2002 husky wr360, 2002 yz250, 2004 rm65.

Thanks
    I take that back, the best mod was my kickstand!!.
    2002 husky wr360, 2002 yz250, 2004 rm65.